Cartographic Skills- Introduction

Hi! My name is Julieta Ramos and I’m from Los Angeles, California. I hold a B.A. in Anthropology from the University of California Riverside. During undergrad years, I completed an archaeology field school in Belize, and interned for LULAC in Washington D.C.. Afterwards, I volunteered for the World Wide Organization of Organic Farmers (WWOOF) for 3 months in France and Italy. From there, I worked in CRM and tutored for a few years before falling backwards into the game industry in which I’ve worked my way up from a tester to project and localization manager for a video game studio in town.

Having worked in software development for the past 6 years helped steer me back to this field since it continues to play a major role in geographical intelligence and advancements. Earth is ever changing and I see this industry growing fast. I figured this is the right time in my life to invest in a dream career path. Upon discovering GIS during undergrad, I've kept meaning to return to work in a field of study I'm passionate about-- environmental conservation. I joined this program to gain a better understanding of GIS and learn about the technology involved in order to pursue a career in environmental conservation.

Outside of work and this program, I enjoy outdoor activities, tabletop games (such as Mansions of Madness, Dominion, Dungeons & Dragons, Pandemic), finding new music, reading, and trying my hand at nature photography and baking. I used to play video games for fun, but don’t have as much free time anymore--a good thing. I've taken a step to become more active the past couple years and began participating in National Park half marathons alongside my mother. They've taken us to Lake Powell in Arizona, Zion in Utah, and Yosemite in California. We hope to complete the one in the Grand Canyon this year.

So far I’ve only completed Intro to GIS for this program, so I’m psyched to get started on this course and get to know more of my online peers!


Last but not least, you may find my story map here outlining some places where education has led me thus far.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Module 6- Proportional Bivariate

Module 4- Color Choropleth

GIS5100 Week10: Final Project